Artist: Lyn Bannister




Lyn Bannister

  
Lyn Bannister has always been interested in the complexities of the human psyche and has what may be called and unhealthy interest in the darker and more tragic side of human nature.

“I have a strong belief that things are never as simple as they at first appear. Painting portraits of individuals that I find fascinating and difficult to understand seemed a logical method of addressing these issues in my practice.”

In this series of works Lyn uses the medium of paint and the abstraction and mediation of the image as a metaphor for the layers of the personality. Lyn believes that this dismantles not only the representation of the individual but also the concept of painting itself.

 “I view my work first and foremost as marks and gestures in paint, not as statements passing judgement on any individual, only opening up the possibility of different interpretations and understandings. As paintings the works are not intended to be true likenesses of the individuals, only to trigger some recognition and emotional empathy in the viewer and as such I hope they can be at once visually appealing and challenging. “



No comments:

Post a Comment